The photo id for this photograph is 1644, in the Public Houses album.

Jolly Sailor / Travellers Call

Photograph sent to the forum by David Easton with the following description

Here is a photograph of the canal bridge in Furness Vale. It shows the former beerhouse, The Jolly Sailor / Travellers Call which closed in 1908 under the licensing Act of 1904. Strangely both seem to have been official names and in use concurrently. The extension to the rear was rebuilt at some time as it is now much shorter and is only single storey.
In the foreground is the parapet of the short aqueduct that carries the canal over Furness Brook. Look down from the towpath and you will see a section of roadway alongside the stream. This was the original road leading to New Mills. Prior to building of the railway,it was an extension of Old Road and joined the present day alignment of Station Road, near to Calico Lane.
The Station Road bridge was rebuilt in 1924/1925 so the photograph showing the earlier stone bridge, pre-dates that.

Photograph added 19th August 2018

For a simple page to maybe print click here

 

Submit a comment

Name :

Comment :

 

Please note that comments will not appear straight away. They will be added by admin if they are suitable, which we are sure they will be.



~ Home ~ Churches ~ Trains and Railway Lines ~ Schools ~ People ~ Public Houses ~ Places ~ Last 20 comments ~ Most comments ~ Recently added photographs ~
~ Walks in and Around Whaley ~ Peak Forest Canal Walk ~ Most Popular Photograph ~ Photographs with Queries ~ Full Index ~ Search ~
~ Adverts From The Past ~ Around the area ~ Buxton ~ Buxworth ~ Canal ~ Chapel-en-le-Frith ~ Fernilee Reservoir Construction ~
~ Goyt Valley ~ Hayfield ~ Horwich End ~ Horwich End Gas Works ~ Kettleshulme ~ Miscellaneous ~
~ Whaley Bridge A-K ~ Whaley Bridge L-S ~ Whaley Bridge T-Z ~
~ History Website ~ Forum ~ Terms ~