The photo id for this photograph is 819, in the Trains and Railway Lines album.

Whaley Bridge

49428 on Up goods.
Photograph taken 18th October 1958.

Photograph credited to J.W.Sutherland.

Photograph added 8th February 2014

Comments

Comment 1

Left by Buggyite on the 9th February 2014

This is just entering Whaley Bridge heading towards Buxton.

The water tower is on the right, and was originally an engine shed.

The loco is an ex-London & North Western Railway "super D", which were the mainstay of freight works on this line into Buxton and up to Harpur Hill/Dowlow before the ubiquitous Stanier 8Fs took over. It was built in 1922, and finally withdrawn in 1962.

Even though both the Midland Railway and the London & North Western Railway amalgamated into the LMS in 1923, the old divisions continued right through to BR days, so LNWR locos and practices continued on the Buxton-Stockport Edgeley line, and MR locos and practices continued on the Buxton--Matlock, Buxton-Peak Forest-Chinley lines.

For a simple page to maybe print click here

 

Submit a comment

Name :

Comment :

 

Please note that comments will not appear straight away. They will be added by admin if they are suitable, which we are sure they will be.



~ Home ~ Churches ~ Trains and Railway Lines ~ Schools ~ People ~ Public Houses ~ Places ~ Last 20 comments ~ Most comments ~ Recently added photographs ~
~ Walks in and Around Whaley ~ Peak Forest Canal Walk ~ Most Popular Photograph ~ Photographs with Queries ~ Full Index ~ Search ~
~ Adverts From The Past ~ Around the area ~ Buxton ~ Buxworth ~ Canal ~ Chapel-en-le-Frith ~ Fernilee Reservoir Construction ~
~ Goyt Valley ~ Hayfield ~ Horwich End ~ Horwich End Gas Works ~ Kettleshulme ~ Miscellaneous ~
~ Whaley Bridge A-K ~ Whaley Bridge L-S ~ Whaley Bridge T-Z ~
~ History Website ~ Forum ~ Terms ~