Beswick Family Mystery - Can Anyone Help?

Family History, any information regarding families from census records, where people lived, births, marriages and deaths etc.
howardb

Beswick Family Mystery - Can Anyone Help?

Post by howardb » Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Thomas Beswick RM13708 Files2-adm-159-58-0-456.pdf
(240.82 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot but I was recommended to try these forums because one Thomas Beswick (Not related) said he had received help in solving a family mystery by a Gail Natalee so here's the story:

I am looking for a Thomas Beswick born in Peak Forest, Buxton. I deduce his date of birth to be 1883-1885 since he was married in Chatham, Kent in 1917 Age 32.
On the marriage certificate (see attached) his Father is listed as George Beswick (Wagon Builder) deceased. Thomas Beswick enlists in the Royal Marines in Nottingham (see attached service record) and ends up in Chatham Barracks in Kent and it is in Chatham he meets Leah Terry and they marry in 1917. The service papers also confirm his place of birth as Peak Forest.

So Thomas Beswick and Leah have a daughter Grace Leah Beswick and they also adopt a child who they call Thomas Beswick that Thomas Beswick was my Father who died in Dec 2014. There is a vague family rumour remembered by 2 family members that Thomas Beswick (The Marine) may have had an affair before he was with Leah and adopted the son that resulted but its only a rumour.

I only found my Dad's adoption certificate when I came to manage his affairs after he had died. My Dad's original Birth records and details of birth have apparently been lost by the local courts so I thought I would try to clarify the story trail form the Peak Forest end and Find out more about the Thomas Beswick that was born there.

Any help or leads your members can furnish to help solve this mystery would be gratefully received,

regards

Howard Thomas Beswick

howardbes@gmail.com
Thomas%20Beswick%20that%20adopted%20DadMarriage%20Certificate%20to%20Leah.jpg
Thomas%20Beswick%20that%20adopted%20DadMarriage%20Certificate%20to%20Leah.jpg (206.14 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Gnatalee

Re: Beswick Family Mystery - Can Anyone Help?

Post by Gnatalee » Mon May 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Hello Howard

Have had a quick look at this and am struggling at the moment to find George and Thomas together.

Looking at Thomas' service papers, he gives his date of birth as 30 July 1883 and he commenced service in 1902, his original occupation being given as Farm Servant. This makes his age on his marriage certificate a little bit "out", he should be 34 if he has given correct d.o.b.

His next of kin is given as his father, George whose address is Stanton, Buxton, Derbys. So George is still alive in 1902.

Problem is that I can't find either of them together on 1891, 1901 censuses !

Have you had a look on the gov.uk site regarding adoption as there may be information at the General Records Office in Southport - not sure, as not had dealings with adoption records before.

Will have to take another look later on today - could keep me occupied for a while :D

Gnats

howardb

Post by howardb » Tue May 05, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi Gail,

Thanks for looking I had trouble finding George in the 1901 let alone Thomas. There was one George age 60 who was a boarder did you see him? But no mention of a son called Thomas its all very mysterious. I have a person from the government adoption agency trying to find out about my Dads adoption details, I will mention Stockport to her. I also tried to look for a will or probate document for George with no success

regards

Howard Beswick

howardb

Post by howardb » Thu May 07, 2015 1:45 am

So I looked at the GRO free online indexes absolutely no luck in finding anything relating to Thomas Beswick. I looked for the possible death of George Beswick given he was alive in 1902 but dead by the time Thomas got married in 1917. There is really only one likely candidate which was a George Beswick who died age 75. The death was registered in Chapel en le Frith between Oct and Dec 1914. Not even sure its the right George

Gnatalee

Post by Gnatalee » Sat May 09, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Howard

Have had a look at the death for George Beswick in 1914 - there is a George Beswick in the Workhouse at Chapel-en-le-Frith on the 1911 census - he is described as "single". I haven't been able to find anything else as yet - will let you know if I find anything.

Regards

Gnats

howardb

Post by howardb » Sun May 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi Gail,

Thanks for looking I have something interesting but not sure its right

Beswick is a common variation on Bestwick and I find a Tom Bestwick and George Bestwick in the 1891 Census

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
George Bestwick Head Widower Male 46 1845 Joiners Labourer Alstonefield, Staffordshire, England Transcription

Tom Bestwick Son - Male 6 1885 Scholar Wormhill, Derbyshire, England

Only trouble is this information does not align with the 1911 census entry for Tom Beswick which gives his Birth year as 1895 and no George mentioned also but by 1911 the Thomas/Tom Beswick I am interested in had enlisted and was living in Chatham Barracks unless he was home the week of the census which I suppose is possible

Its still a bit confusing :)

Digger

Post by Digger » Sun May 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Have you tried looking at the Electoral Registers in the Buxton area and surrounding districts?

I searched all over for my Great Grand parents on my mothers side and accidently found they had got married in a parish a few miles away while looking for someone else.(I think it was a shotgun wedding) ;) :)

howardb

Post by howardb » Mon May 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi Gail,

I have not looked in local electoral registers can you provide a link to thei location and I will gladly do that

Regards

Howard

howardb

Post by howardb » Mon May 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi Gail,

I have not looked in local electoral registers can you provide a link to thei location and I will gladly do that

Regards

Howard

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello Howard,

I doubt if this will be of any help but according to Ralph Bolton King, Headmaster of Buxton College, a G E Beswick is named on the roll of honour for the Second World War.
I can't find the date of his death but I presume he was in the Sherwood Foresters.

R. S-S

Little Orchid

Post by Little Orchid » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 am

I've looked on the freebmd.org.uk births, marriages, deaths site and had great trouble finding Sailor Thomas.
I can only think that he lied about his age (not uncommon when they were poor young males: he was a 'farm servant') because if you look at his height when he enlisted, he was 5 ft 7 1/4" and when he is discharged, has grown to be 5' 9".

If he was nearly 20 (19 yrs & 5 months) according to the date he enlisted: 9 December 1902 - he would have finished growing by then.
Also, he may not have known where exactly his birth was registered when he joined up.
I found a Births Sep 1887 (>99%) BESWICK Thomas Henry registered in Leek
and Births Dec 1884 (>99%) Beswick, Thomas registered in Macclesfield in 4th quarter of 1884 (Dec)

He could well have been 16 1/2 when he enlisted, which accounts for the difference in height when he is demobed on 24th Feb 1919.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic