Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

A forum dedicated to the First World War, now a hundred years ago.
Digger

#1160 Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Digger »

This link might be of interest to anyone who has not seen it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08 ... 45804.html

Gnatalee

#1166 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Gnatalee »

Digger

Thank you for posting this link. I have also seen this on FB and on TV and I think it is a most stunning, thoughtful and dramatic piece of art. I find it very moving - as was the coverage of the events on Monday - particularly on BBC in the early evening at the cemetery in Belgium (what a beautiful place that was). Also the service at Westminster Abbey was a fitting tribute and most moving.

Apparently, each evening at the poppy display at the Tower of London "The Last Post" will be played and the names of 150 fallen servicemen will be read out. If you have such a person in your family you can nominate that person for their name to be read out in tribute. Using the link below, you can complete a simple online form giving your nominated person's name, service number and date of death:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/Vis ... llofHonour

(I think this will continue until Remembrance Day)

I have nominated my great uncle W H Jones (from Whaley Bridge) who died on 27 April 1918 aged 18.

This evening it would appear that the nominations for this week have closed. The next nominations will be accepted on the above link beginning next Monday. So, should you wish to nominate someone you will need to apply early on that day. You will be asked for your e-mail address and they will e-mail you to say if your application is successful.

I am proud that we have been afforded the opportunity of remembering our fallen soldiers and have learned a great deal during this process, as I am sure others have also.

Gnats

G. Jackson

#1168 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by G. Jackson »

I don't like to be a cynic or a kill-joy. BUT... Although it looks amazing how much has it cost and presuming the British public are paying for it, why didn't they plant seeds earlier in the year. This is what I did, at an astounding cost to me personally of about £2.00, I got almost 20 thousand seeds and I now have a verge full of poppies.
The "artist" who commissioned the "masterpiece" in porcelain and wire must have made tens of thousands of pounds if not much more. Also what are they going to do with them after November? If anyone does find the cost of the poppies in the Tower of London "art", please let the forum know.
Grumpy !!
G.J.

Gnatalee

#1169 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Gnatalee »

Hello Grumpy !

I understand what you are saying but, purely as a work of art, I think it is fantastic - artworks get a lot of flak, eg pickled animals, unmade beds etc - I just think that the drama of these poppies spilling out of the tower and into the moat is spectacular - and I'm not that "big" on art.

I have to say there are some lovely displays of poppies out and about and these are every bit as important and, perhaps, more important because they are "of the people" as it were.

However, regarding my previous posting, I have had e-mail notification today that Private W H Jones of Whaley Bridge will be included in the Roll of Honour to be read out on the evening of Sunday 10 August 2014. Proud !

Gnats :)

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#1170 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Norm »

Great!

G. Jackson

#1171 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by G. Jackson »

Dear Gnats,
I agree with you 100% because you have personal reasons for celebrating, luckily no members of my family were killed ( some were injured though).
That isn't my point, I am trying to say that someone is making a fortune from this. Who, possibly the artist, who coincidentally comes from Derbyshire.
You can buy a poppy from the Tower of London display for £25.00 with a certificate to say where it is from. 10% of this goes to 6 military charities.... brilliant buy where does the other 90% go. When ALL expenses have been covered the rest will go to charity.
I say again I could have planted 880,000 REAL poppies for less than £100 and they would be a more realistic representation of Flanders Fields.
Still Grumpy.
G.J.

Gnatalee

#1172 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Gnatalee »

Dear Still Grumpy

You have raised info of which I had no knowledge - I hadn't thought about the fact that they were selling off the poppies for, if you will forgive the pun, £25 a pop !! Perhaps this is a question which can be raised (and probably will be when the penny drops with Joe Public) and eventually we will get the answers.

Thank you for highlighting this point. It hadn't occurred to me about the great "sell off". (I still like the art work though !).

Gnats

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#1174 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Norm »

Gnats, you said you thought this will continue until Remembrance Day, I would wager that Mr Grumpy's poppies don't last that long. We will see.

G. Jackson

#1175 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by G. Jackson »

Maybe not Norman but they will come out year after year for ever.
Forever Grumpy.
G.J.

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#1176 Re: Commemoration to WW1 British fatalities

Post by Norm »

True :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic