Friendly Societies.

Years ago, before the Welfare State, trade unions and the like, people had to manage on their own; usually on starvation wages and unsatisfactory conditions. How it was to live in those days.
R. Stephenson-Smythe

#140 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

Top of Horwich Burial Club.

Ashton-under-Lyne Reporter

20th August 1887

Jubilee of the Top of Horwich Burial Club.

On Saturday the members belonging to the Top of Horwich Burial Club celebrated the jubilee of the society by holding a grand demonstration.
Fifty years ago the club was formed at the "Quiet Woman Inn" by Mr John Kinder, Mr John Bennett and Mr Benjamin Scholes, and shortly after its formation, Mr John Shrigley was appointed treasurer. Mr Kinder is the only survivor of those who took part in the formation.
For a good many years the society did not make very great headway, but for a long time it had been in a most prosperous condition and now numbers over 1,700 members, and although only 3d per quarter is collected from members, there is about £370 in the hands of the treasurer.
On Saturday the members began to assemble at Horwich, and as speedily as possible a procession was formed, in which nearly 2,000 persons took part, as non-members could take part.
The following bands, numbering 100 performers, supplied the necessary march music - Whaley Bridge Volunteer Band, Failsworth Band, Hayfield Band and Kettleshulme Band.
The procession proceeded as far as Bridgemont, and upon returning to Whaley Bridge, a halt was made near the station, and the four bands unitedly played a selection.
At the Band of Hope Hall, tea was served to about 1,600 persons, and it may be assumed that it was no easy task to cater for so large a number.
After tea, an adjournment took place to a field belonging to Mr George Wild, where a series of games were indulged in till dusk. To commemorate the occasion, a medal had been struck, containing the likeness of Mr John Kinder, and one was given to each person taking part in the proceedings.
A large number of people were attracted to the place to witness the procession and festivities.

For members not familiar with the history of WB village the Quiet Woman Inn was on Old Road travelling from the Chapel end it is in the middle of the three cottages and you can tell it from the masonry over the front door. Before being the Quiet Woman it was allegedly known as the Lamb and Salmon.

The Band of Hope Hall is on New Horwich Road going up to the cricket field on the left hand side and was built by the Sons of Temperance, another friendly society of the times. It was later known as the Drill Hall.
I am fairly sure that the field owned by George Wild was where WB junior school stands now.

R. S-S

buggyite

#141 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by buggyite »

Its strange how certain names bind several topics together, but George Wild was mentioned in John Warren's diary entry about the train disaster:

1885 Tuesday Night February 17th A Rail way Engine fell over that Bridge into George WILDES yard off the Rail way and the Number of the Engine was 163 the Engine Driver and the Guard was killed and the Stoker was    seriously injured
[/size]

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#143 Re: Friendly Societies.

The same parade but reported in another newspaper.

High Peak News?

August 1887

Top of Horwich and Whaley Burial Society

Jubilee of the Burial Society

A great public demonstration was held in Whaley Bridge on Saturday last , on the occasion of the Top of Horwich and Whaley Burial Society celebrating its jubilee. The membership of the society numbers 1,700, and prior to the demonstration, 1,500 medals of the society with a portrait of Mr John Kinder, the only living founder, had been disposed of, and were worn on Saturday. The members met at the house of Mrs Mary Bennett, the Quiet Woman Inn, Top of Horwich, and formed in procession, accompanied by the Culcheth Sunday School Brass and Reed Band (34 performers), Whaley Bridge Volunteer Band, Hayfield Brass Band and Kettleshulme Brass Band. They paraded through the town to Bridgemont, and returned to Horwich End to the Band of Hope Hall, where tea was provided. Messrs Kinder and Ashmore were at the head of the procession. On Station Brow the group was photographed by Mr C.W. Johnson. About 1,670 persons partook of tea in the hall, and afterwards they adjourned to a field kindly lent by Mr George Wild, where games were indulged in during the evening.

Medal: obverse; portrait of John Kinder; Inscription "Jubilee of the Top of Horwich Burial Club. John Kinder One of the Founders."
Reverse; "In Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Top of Horwich Burial Club Whaley Bridge 1887". Blue ribbon.

Below is a photo of the celebrations in George Wild’s field although this is more likely to be at a later parade.
I’ll try to put parade photos in date order but please bear with me if I get them slightly out.
If the George Wild field was the site of WB school then I think he must have sold it to the Co-Op who was the owners prior to the school being built. I think George may be able to help with this and of course as Buggyite says John Warren’s Diary mentions George Wild as owning the land adjacent to Wharf Road.
So we’ll see what feedback we get from this.

R. S-S

Field before Whaley School.jpg
Field before Whaley School.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 3467 times

Curious

#144 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by Curious »

Thanks R. S.S for the very interesting information in Post 117. According to my family history research, Ebenezer Hill was my 2nd great grand Uncle. He was born ~1823 and died on 1 February 1915 and is buried at Taxal. He was married to Mary Ann Boothby who died in 1872 and they had 14 children, 8 of them died before him. It’s great to be able to add stuff like this to my family history. Any more?
Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#145 Re: Friendly Societies.

Good evening to you Mrs. Curious,

You mention Mary Ann Boothby as being one of your ancestors do you know if she was related to Martha Boothby of Kettleshulme?

R. S-S

Curious

#146 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by Curious »

Hi R. S-S

I don’t know if my Mary Ann Boothby was related to the Martha Boothby you mention. Was Boothby Martha’s maiden name or married name? My Mary’s parents were Abel and Mary and she had two brothers Joseph (b1803) and Abel (b1807). I’ve got a Martha Boothby in my tree (1771-1847) who was my 5th great grandmother and was married to James Goodall (1771-1844).

Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#147 Re: Friendly Societies.

SwanInn,MarthaBoothby_.jpg
SwanInn,MarthaBoothby_.jpg (106.4 KiB) Viewed 3415 times

Curious

#148 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by Curious »

Oh, that Martha Boothby! She was born Martha Dewsnap ~1848 and she married John Thomas Boothby in 1874. Neither of these two are in my tree - yet.................

Mrs C

Curious

#149 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by Curious »

My apologies - the information in my Post No. 146 was wrong. Ebenezer Hill's wife Mary Ann Boothby was Martha Boothby's sister-in-law. Martha was married to Mary's younger brother John Thomas Boothby. Mary's parents were George and Susanna. I've now been able to put things right at end - I think. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#150 Re: Friendly Societies.

1906 Jul 28

Culcheth and Whaley Bands engaged at £6 and £2.10 respectively. Drill Hall and Co-op Society field opposite New Cock booked.
Members to meet at 3 p.m.
Procession to begin 3.30 - proceed down bottom road through canal yard, back up the old road to Drill Hall.
Tea on tables 5 p.m.
32 waiters to be found.
Collection to be taken at tea tables towards expenses.
Purchase authorised of 1000 buns, 150 lbs Sweet Bread and 180 lbs White Bread, same quantity Tea, sugar, butter as before to be bought from different shops who are members also 24 milk.
Sports to be held with prizes provided free by Trustees.
25 Large Posters and 50 Window Bills to be printed.
Rosettes to be provided for Officers as before.
Stalls in the field free of charge.
Wagonette to be provided for Old Folks.
Lurrys to be asked for free of charge.

Horwich End Procession.jpg
Horwich End Procession.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 3405 times

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#168 Re: Friendly Societies.

1911 Jul

Culcheth Band at £5 and Whaley Band at £3 booked.
Wm Eyre's offer of field accepted.
Tables and pots from Co-op.
Members to meet at 3 p.m., start at 3.30 and proceed down bottom road, Canal Street, up iron rails and old road to Drill Hall.
32 waiters and cutters up to be found.
Collections at tea tables.
1000 buns from Co-op.
150 lbs sweet bread and 180 lbs white to be supplied by members in equal shares.
2½ dozen milk.
£4.10.0 to be allotted for sports prizes.
1000 programmes and 25 large posters to be printed.
Rosettes: Pres., white; Treas., blue; Comm., red, white, blue; Sec., red; Trustees, yellow.
Females to walk first after Whaley Band and males after Culcheth Band.
Two wagonettes for old folks, one for males one for females from John Waterhouse.
Following lurries accepted:- Co-op Socy, Henry Brocklehurst, Botany and 2/6 allowed to drivers per horse. Trustees carriage first, then wagonette and lurries.

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#218 Re: Friendly Societies.

1923 Aug 25

Culcheth Sunday School Temperance Reed Band approached, Culcheth Military Band (Newton Heath) booked and Whaley Bridge Band approached to play in procession and at intervals in the field. Drill Hall booked.
Co-op Socy to be seen about catering for tea.
Whaley Bridge Ambulance Division to be asked whether members who are also members of their division may wear uniform in procession.
24 Posters printed.
Rosettes:- Trustees; Crimson and blue centre, Committee; White and gold centre, Secretary; Red and gold centre, President; White and red centre,
Collectors; White and blue centre, to be returned to Secretary after procession in good condition, or same to be charged for.
Ambulance question to be left with Joseph Ashmore to get 2 squads of Ambulance Men in uniform. Each official to find 2 waiters or cutters up, each to bring a towel.
President, secretary and trustees to head procession, followed by Whaley Bridge Public Band, then females, then Culcheth Military Band, then male members.
£6 allowed for sports prizes.
Each member under 7 who attends to get a small packet of sweets.
Vouchers to be given for prizes which could be changed at local shops.
Needles, cotton and worsted to be provided for sports.
J.T. Turner, Horwich Farm, field for sports.

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#262 Re: Friendly Societies.

1936 Sep 8 The engagement of Culcheth Military Band for Centenary Celebration to be left with President and Secretary. Top Hat and Frock Coat Uniform preferred for occasion. All members of Band to be provided with free tea if in uniform - any old members of Band who may wish to come along to have tea at nominal price. Secretary to write about price of pins, brooches etc specially designed for centenary celebration.
1936 Oct 5 Not to accept Culcheth Military Band's terms of £21. Offer them £12.10.0 for which they came in 1923. If £12.10.0 not acceptable, Secretary empowered to get quotations from other bands, including Whaley Bridge. Secretary to order 720 Badges, design as sketch, Round 1" diameter, Blue and White, Brooch attachment. Officials to have name of Office held attached to badges (as sketch in catalogue.)
1936 Dec 8 Not to accept Culcheth quotation of £15.15.0.
1937 Feb 22 To write to Whaley Bridge Band for quotation - they must reply by 25/2/37 evening. A committee formed to arrange Band. Secretary empowered to fix other rooms for Centenary Tea, failing to get Drill Hall.
1937 Feb 26 Whaley Bridge Band quotation not to hand. Accept Scotch Pipe Band from Heaton Norris at £5.5.0 plus £2.2.0 travelling expenses.
1937 May 4 Preliminary notice of celebrations to be placed in "Reporter" for week ending May 22. Committee formed to make arrangements for tea. Collectors to be present at meeting to be held on June 1st to receive Tea Tickets and to report at meeting on June 8th how many have been distributed. Whaley Ambulance to be asked to send one squad of males and one squad of females to procession in uniform and they are to be given free tea. 2 dozen posters in red, white and blue to be printed to advertise procession. A beef and ham sandwich tea to be provided. Door keepers appointed for Mechanics. Marshallers appointed. The President, Trustees, Secretary and Committee to head procession, followed by Culcheth Band - female members, The Pipe Band - male members. Engage Weir Playing Field from Council for sports. Committee formed to arrange sports programme - allowed to go up to £6 in prizes. Each child up to age of 7 years to be given packet of sweets, value 2d from Co-op. Left to sports committee whether to give vouchers or prizes for sports. Secretary empowered to give local tradesmen permission to have stalls on sports field. Children to be provided with mugs in place of cups and saucers for tea. Procession to fall in on Station Brow - proceed along Buxton Road, Shallcross Mill, Top of Horwich and Higher Level to Mechanics Institute. Procession to start at 2 p.m. Each member in procession to be given souvenir badge when marshalled.
1937 Jun 1 Marshallers and door-keepers re-allocated.
1938 Jun 8 Secretary and vice-chairman authorised to see about cars to take some of the old members around in procession and if unable to procure private cars, to hire same.
1937 Sep 14 Officials each to be given 4 badges left over to distribute to members. Secretary granted 50/- for extra work with centenary.

Gnatalee

#271 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by Gnatalee »

Quick question -8 Dec 1936 it was decided not to accept Culcheth's quote of £15 15s. but on 22 May 1937 they are listed in the procession behind the Committee members - was there a change of heart ?

I take it that inflation wasn't so bad in those days that the band was expected to play for the same fee they were paid 13 years previously :roll:

Gnats

G. Jackson

#273 Re: Friendly Societies.

Post by G. Jackson »

Hi Gnats,
Talking of inflation (or the lack of it) I once had in my possession, the monthly minutes book for the Whaley Bridge and Buxton Co-op Society. Entered into the minutes every 3 months was an entry for having the chimney swept in the hall/room above the grocery department on Market Street. The period from 1895 to 1914 was a constant ten pence per visit for over a decade ( this would be 4p in modern money). The entries stopped for the duration of the first war and resumed in 1919. The price was still 10d so we can presume the sweep returned unharmed from the war.
G.J.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic