Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
drstir

#3110 Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

I'm just wondering whether anyone may have information about the Rev Samuel Evans, Rector at Taxal Church.

I came across a small pamphlet in the church reproducing his 1922 obituary. He sounds a fascinating character and I'd like to put a post about him on the Goyt Valley website.

Does anyone know whether he has a grave in the churchyard? Also, there's a very poor photo of him on the cover. Is there a better version anywhere?

Thanks

David

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3111 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

Hello David,

There is a great amount of information on here about Sam.
From collecting the new church bells at WB station and falling out with the bell ringers so the bells remained silent for a year.
He also beat Edward Hall up in the church which resulted in Edward Hall leaving the church and building the Holy Trinity Church in Horwich End.
I have also put a photo on of his grave at Taxal.
He used to swim in a deep part of the river Goyt every morning and that place, though now silted up, is still known as Parson's Pool. I swam there as a kid.

R. S-S

drstir

#3112 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

Hello R.S-S. Good to hear from you.

I hate to admit it, but I'm struggling to find the info on Sam Evans as well as the photo of his grave. Can you give me a few pointers?

I tried doing a search on the forum and found a photo of him and a young boy. But apart from that, I didn't get very far.

I did find a fair amount of information on another website: http://brickcourse.blogspot.com/p/extra ... taxal.html which includes details of some of his quarrels. He sounds quite a colourful character - for a vicar!

David

drstir

#3113 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

Hello R.S-S

I've put an initial post about Rev Sam on the GV website here: https://goyt-valley.org.uk/the-pugilistic-parson/. I've also added the info you gave me before. I hope that's ok. Let me know if you want me to change it in any way.

I'm planning to take a photo of his memorial plaque in the church this weekend. I'd also like to find his grave. Have you any idea where it might be?

Thanks again for all your help.

David

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3118 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Go to the main page, and open churches. There he is with his bells.

R. S-S

drstir

#3119 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

Thanks R.S-S. Much appreciated... David

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3120 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

You come, David,

Incidentally you will notice an oil painting of Taxal Church.
It now hangs on my wall in the front room and was painted by an old friend of mine who I didn't know could paint. It cost me £1.99 off ebay.
I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Somewhere I have a picture of a goat that had somehow climbed on to the Church roof. They couldn't get it down so they shot it. Hope it had nothing to do with Sam.

R. S-S

drstir

#3121 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

I saw the painting. £1.99 - what a bargain!

And I'd love to see the photo of the goat on the roof - if you ever come across it.

I'm off back to the church today to see if I can spot Sam's grave.

David

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3122 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Hi David,

If you haven't set off yet and read this before you go Sam's grave is at the back of the church through the gate into the old graveyard and it is to the left on the first row.

Good luck my friend.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3123 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Go to the search box, top right hand corner, type in evans.
You will see a photo of him sat with George Lomas.

R. S-S

drstir

#3124 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

Thanks R.S-S. I didn't see your message before I left. But found the grave fairly easily. I had an inkling he'd have reserved a fairly good spot for himself! Thanks again, David

drstir

#3125 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

R.S-S: Do we know much about the George Lomas in the photo with Sam Evans? David

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3126 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Sorry I don't know anything about George Lomas in that photo.
But if you walk up past the duckpond on your right you will come to a few steps on your left into the graveyard.
A few yards in and almost the first grave is that of Joseph Oyazabel and his parents.
Have a look when time and weather permits.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3128 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Good morning once again David,

A little it of information I have dug out for you from 1899. I don't know if it is of interest to you or not but here goes anyway:
Joseph Braddock was the landlord at The Shady Oak PH.
Chilworth Gunpowder Mills had a manager by the name of Harry Randall and their offices were registered in London at 54 Parliament Street.
The occupier of Shallcross Manor was Lt Colonel Cotton Jodrell MP JP a member of the exclusive Carlton Club in London.
The honourable Edward Francis Preston lived at Errwood Hall.
Cornelius O'Brien was butler to Miss Grimshaw and Captain Preston of Errwood Hall, Castedge cottage.
Ignatius Oyazarbel was stewaed to Miss Grimshaw and Captain Preston of Errwood Hall.

R. S-S

drstir

#3151 Re: Rev Samuel Evans of Taxal Church

Post by drstir »

Thanks R.S-S, and apologies for not responding sooner but I've only just seen your message.

Are these people who are buried in Taxal churchyard?

I thought you might be interested in this page I just posted on the website...

https://www.goyt-valley.org.uk/taxal-church-fades/

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic