John Warren's Diary

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
parabuild

#3071 John Warren's Diary

Post by parabuild »

John Warren lived in Furness Vale and worked at the Printworks. Between 1843 and 1883 he kept a diary in which he recorded events in the village and neighbouring communities. He talks about who was married , who died, who moved away or emigrated as well as many local news items.
The two books in which John Warren kept his diary entries have survived and Furness Vale History Society has been able to copy the entire work.
We have now published replicas of these in Warren's own handwriting. The 200+ pages are legible and quite easy to read although some of the spelling is a little unusual.
John Warren's Diary is available at History Society meetings, at Furness Vale Community Shop or direct from David Easton. please email furnesshistory@gmail.com if you would like a copy.
They are priced at £4 each or £8 for the two A4 format books.

promotion page.jpg
promotion page.jpg (195.3 KiB) Viewed 1288 times

David Easton

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3082 Re: John Warren's Diary

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

Hi David,

I remember these diaries well. At one time they were with the late Alan Shaw, my cousin.
I don't know if you remember Alan or not but he sold 'The Alan Shaw Collection' for £2,000.00 to Barry Rudd who bought them on behalf of Footsteps only to find half of WB also owned the very same collection. Smart lad Alan or alternatively ..... Well you know.
I seem to remember Alan borrowed them from Joyce Eyre, wife of Billy.
I don't remember the history of them before that though.
I would be interested if they came to you from Joyce and I hope to see you very soon so please keep a copy for me if you would.

R. S-S

parabuild

#3085 Re: John Warren's Diary

Post by parabuild »

Hello R S-S

The diaries are now held by William Eyre's descendants who have allowed me to scan and reproduce them. They also hold all of his archives which I have been invited to delve into when time allows.
I will reserve a copy of the books for you. I am away in France for the next week so I shall arrange to deliver them to you on my returen

regards

David

David Easton

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3087 Re: John Warren's Diary

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

Hello David,
I am at Furness Club next Thursday at 9.00 pm

I am very pleased that you are to be allowed access to Billy's archives.

R. S-S

parabuild

#3088 Re: John Warren's Diary

Post by parabuild »

I'm afraid I am going to miss you next Thursday. I am flying to Nantes tomorrow for a week's holiday. If I have time today, I'll send the books to the Club. Ask Andrew Murray, the Bar Steward and hopefully he will be able to let you have them. The price is £8 which you can pay to Andrew who will pass it on to the History Society.

regards

David

David Easton

parabuild

#3100 Re: John Warren's Diary

Post by parabuild »

Sorry you weren't able to make it to Furness Club to pick up the books. Andy has them if you would still like copies or you can always collect them from my home or a History Society meeting.Alternatively, I may be able to deliver them to you.
regards
David

David Easton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic