New find.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
gritch

#3046 Re: New find.

Post by gritch »

hi All

The only reference I can find in newspapers relating to one Bill Eyre is that of being a local genealogist living on Whaley Lane. [see racing pigeon's post]
I'm pretty sure that had he been a councillor there would have been some, however small, mention of a William [or Bill] Eyre somewhere in the archives.

Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3080 Re: New find.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

Hello everyone,

Just had a word with Norm and he is going to update the 'New find' over the weekend. There's plenty of good stuff to come.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3083 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Sketch of Peter Jodrell 1964. Drawn by Jack Garside.

Peter Jodrell.jpg
Peter Jodrell.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 1880 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3084 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

From The Review December 2004

The Review 1.jpg
The Review 1.jpg (41.38 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
The Review 2.jpg
The Review 2.jpg (157.64 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
The Review 3.jpg
The Review 3.jpg (107.67 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
The Review 4.jpg
The Review 4.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3086 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

From The Reporter January 16th, 1992.

Jodrell 1.jpg
Jodrell 1.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Jodrell 2.jpg
Jodrell 2.jpg (316.51 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3090 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Norman Jodrell. The back of the photograph states "Norman Jodrell he emigrated to Australia in 1955?"

Norman Jodrell.jpg
Norman Jodrell.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3091 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Phoebie.

I suspect that R.S-S can give more information.

Phoebie.jpg
Phoebie.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3092 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

From Our Heritage, The Universe, Sunday August 4 1996.

Shrine 1.jpg
Shrine 1.jpg (147.42 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

Shrine 2.jpg
Shrine 2.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3094 Re: New find.

I've found a new folder over the weekend which I'll hand to Norm this Thursday.

There is loads of new stuff never seen before.

A lot of it concerns the Jodrell family but there are other interesting items among the collection.

The first death of a WB soldier in WW2 is reported in the local newspaper.

There are at least 2 new unseen photos of football teams and so on.
There is a great photo of William Celandine Jodrell, last owner of the Seven Stars pub in Horwich End who was killed in action in Belgium during WW1 aged 42 years and who is buried in La Clytte Military Cemetery in Belgium.

In 1991 I bought a house and contents which I intended to demolish and build a new house which I did.
However, when I first went into the house there was a photograph album and the first photo was of a cross bearing the name of William Celandine Jodrell.
I took the photo out and took it to my mate Peter Jodrell to show him. I spent a couple of hours with him and when I went back to the house the photo album had disappeared. Unknown to me somebody else had a key.

More later.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3095 Re: New find.

Just had a phone call from an impatient member asking who the first casualty was.

Well it was Gunner Alec Hill aged 27 from Furness Vale who was employed at Meveril Bleachworks in Whaley Bridge.
There is a lot more details about Alec but you will have to wait for Norm when time permits him.
But he will do it make no mistake.
He hasn't let us down on here.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3096 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Here is a football team, second eleven from 1949/50. Has anyone any more info before I add it to the photo site?

I have these names, any help would be appreciated.

Teacher Jimmy Wild.

Back row, left to right, Rod Brookes, Barry Crompton, Clive Hockenhall, Thomas Mycock, Terry Clarke, Gordon Wright and Arnold Whyte.

Front row, left to right, Brian Bennett, Tony Goodwin, Alan Dranfield, Peter Jodrell and Derek Fyfe.

football1.jpg
football1.jpg (137.85 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3097 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Another team.

I make out the players as:-

Back row, left to right. Brian Ruddick, Brian Nest, Peter Jodrell, Gilbert Ruddick, Roy Coverley, Tommy Norman and Roland Lansdale.

Front row, left to right. Michael Fox, Frank Fletcher, George Bennett and Arthur Wilcox.

Any help with this team and names will be appreciated. Especially Roy Coverley.

football2.jpg
football2.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3098 Re: New find.

Hi Norm,

Tommy Norman is alive and well. He lives at 12 Manor Road, Horwich End. I don't know how old he is, surely in his 90's, but he still gets out and about. One of the cleverest men practically I have ever known. He could repair car bodywork just as a professional garage, he could make window frames as good as any joiner's shop and so on.

He was also the last man to enter the Grimshawe's crypt at Errwood Hall and remembers their carriage standing at the end of the driveway.
He used to be a postman as did his late wife Jean.
A very interesting man I could listen to him all day.

R.S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3099 Re: New find.

Tommy Norman had a 125cc motor bike which he used to race every year at Oulton Park. He nearly always came last.
His method was to get it into top gear and stay there. He never changed gear at all. But once he nearly realised his dream but only managed fourth.
He was, as always, at the back of the field but there was an almighty crash and most of the riders fell off and when Tommy eventually came across the mayhem and he simply swerved past them and headed for the finishing line.
As I say he came fourth but as there were only 4 finishers he actually came last once again.
Still not a bad showing that day although he never made the podium and he won nothing.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3101 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

As R S-S mentioned earlier. Whaley's first casualty Gunner Alec Hill aged 27 from Furness Vale who was employed at Meveril Bleachworks in Whaley Bridge.

Hill.jpg
Hill.jpg (185.12 KiB) Viewed 2203 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic