New find.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
R. Stephenson-Smythe

#2974 Re: New find.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

Hello again Megaroc,

I presume that when you mention the fishing pond you are referring to the piece of land now occupied by the garages.

This was originally a reservoir built solely for the Cromford and High Peak Railway to provide power for the engines using the Shallcross incline. Rather like the ones further up the valley on the Bunsall Incline.
I never remember it being a fishing pond but being a keen angler I seemed to have missed out on that one.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2983 Proposed Railway Line Buxton Sheffield 1865

Post by Norm »

Hope these two are readable. If you download them and zoom in I think the detail is good enough.
Attachments
Right.jpg
Right.jpg (350.53 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Left.jpg
Left.jpg (340.11 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2984 Cromford and High Peak Railway at Whaley Bridge

Post by Norm »

Page 1.jpg
Page 1.jpg (160.19 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Page 2.jpg
Page 2.jpg (93.72 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

megaroc

#2985 Re: New find.

Post by megaroc »

hello r.s-s, I am sorry to have taken so long to respond to your comment about the fishing pond up elnor lane , yes it was where the garages are now, we used to go there as children and talk to some of the soldiers from the manor who were fishing there,in winter it sometimes froze over and we made slides on it.i never knew it was for the railway.

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3012 Scouts

Post by Norm »

This is an article from the Manchester Evening News, 1999.

I think it is just about readable.

Part 1.jpg
Part 1.jpg (186.01 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Part 2.jpg
Part 2.jpg (129.67 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3026 Gas Lamps

Post by Norm »

Interesting that gas lamps would not be used on or near a full moon, even if cloudy.

Gas.jpg
Gas.jpg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 2145 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3036 Brownies

Post by Norm »

From the year 2000.

Brownies.jpg
Brownies.jpg (202.29 KiB) Viewed 2108 times

G. Jackson

#3038 Re: New find.

Post by G. Jackson »

The post about gas lamps reminded me when I was little there was someone who came round every evening with a long stick with a hook on the end and he " turned up" the gas to the road lamps. This would light the main lamp from the pilot light. I suppose he turned them down in the morning but I can't remember that. The control was a little lever under the lamp with a loop of wire at each end for the stick to connect with. He would change the mantles if necessary and we used to play with them. They were mostly replaced by electric lights in the late 50s early 60s.
Am I showing my age now? perhaps, but when I started school we wrote on slates with chalk. Not chalk in long finger shape as most schools used but a lump of chalk that resembled a chunk of limestone. The slates had a wooden frame. Happy Days.

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3039 Re: New find.

The photo showing Billy Eyre entitled "Fighting Over the Water" is taken in Billy's back garden which overlooks the Memorial Park.
If you remember my Grandma told me when I was a lot younger that the missing fountain was in a Councillor's back garden which overlooked the park.

First of all we need to find out whether or not Billy was a local Councillor. Personally I don't know. But we have some good detectives on here Gritch and Gnats: surely they will be able to find out. If he was I think we have found the last known location of the fountain.
So over to you ladies or indeed anyone else who might know the answer.

R. S-S

Gnatalee

#3040 Re: New find.

Post by Gnatalee »

Hi R.S-S

Hope you are on the mend - nice to see you posting again.

Can you refresh my memory and give me an idea of the date-span, from when the fountain went missing?
Many thanks.

Gnats

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#3041 Re: New find.

Good morning Gnats,

Obviously I can't remember either fountain and even in my younger days I doubt if I would have taken much interest.

But my Grandma was a local history enthusiast and she would have told me this story in about 1963.

I have no idea where you find a list of ex Councillors.

R. S-S

Racing pigeon

#3042 Re: New find.

Post by Racing pigeon »

Is the Billy Eyre referred to the same person who worked for his father
in Eyre's Coal Merchants? Their office was at the bottom of the station
approach.
He used to live just off Whaley Lane opposite the Spring Bank Church,
but obviously he could have moved later to near the Park.

Gnatalee

#3043 Re: New find.

Post by Gnatalee »

R.S-S, I think the best way to find the names of local councillors from the past would be through local newspapers - possibly held at the local library or back copies can sometimes be seen at the offices of the newspaper (well they used to be, anyway). However, trying to find the information without an idea of the dates would be a little difficult.

Gnats

Digger

#3044 Re: New find.

Post by Digger »

Gnatalee wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:54 pm
R.S-S, I think the best way to find the names of local councillors from the past would be through local newspapers - possibly held at the local library or back copies can sometimes be seen at the offices of the newspaper (well they used to be, anyway). However, trying to find the information without an idea of the dates would be a little difficult.

Gnats
Hi Gnats,
Have you tried the local council? They might have records going back years.

Just a thought.

Gnatalee

#3045 Re: New find.

Post by Gnatalee »

Hi Digger

Have looked online for local Council records but not yet found anything for previous councillors and, unfortunately, I don't live locally and so am unable to do the "digging" in person. (Pardon the pun !)

Gnats 8-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic