New find.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
R. Stephenson-Smythe

#2954 New find.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe »

As members know I have a huge collection of old documents, photos and postcards.
The other day I was doing a bit of tidying up and spotted an old box in the corner.

It must have been given to me years ago by my old mate Peter Jodrell.

It is full of loads of stuff he has collected over the years. There is a wonderful pencil drawing of him for instance.
There are loads of press cuttings about local matters and there may well be a strong clue to the whereabouts of the elusive fountain.
There is the repeat publication of the football match played at the Orchard when Horwich End beat Hyde which will interest Gnatalee.

I'm out with Norm this evening and give him some of this new stuff to place on our site.

There are other items showing trenches, tactics and so on with regards to WW1 but these are massive and not suitable to go on here,

I have also found the 1865 map showing the plans for the railway from WB to Macclesfield.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2958 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, well the car just having a repair and I didn't fancy a long drive first time out, I didn't see Robert last night.

But all being well I will see him next week, so watch this space.

John A

#2959 Re: New find.

Post by John A »

Looking forward to the updates on the fountain(s) and the Whaley-Macc railway. They must have planned some impressive engineering works for the latter.

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#2960 Re: New find.

Hello John A,

There is also a very old photo of Elnor Lane.
At the top of the photo you can see what looks certainly like the smoke coming from a steam train.
It must be near Mellands and looks like the Cromford and High Peak railway.

R. S-S

John A

#2961 Re: New find.

Post by John A »

I think that section of the line closed around 1892. If so, it really is an old photo - even before I started at Horwich End school.

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#2962 Re: New find.

Hello John,

1892 is not that old in terms of photographs.

Anyway Norm is picking up all the new finds over the next couple of days and they should be on this thread over the weekend.
Please leave comments.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2963 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Here is the first one, at the moment an unknown chimney.
Chimney.jpg
Chimney.jpg (154.32 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2964 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

A view with possibly smoke in the distance.
Smoke.jpg
Smoke.jpg (166.09 KiB) Viewed 2649 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2965 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Maybe Robert will explain this one.
Home Guard.jpg
Home Guard.jpg (110.41 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2966 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

Self explanatory really.
Walton.jpg
Walton.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

buggyite

#2969 Re: New find.

Post by buggyite »

Norm wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:08 pm
Here is the first one, at the moment an unknown chimney.

It isn't a round chimney as you suggested to me yesterday, Robert, but octagonal. Birch Vale printworks "new" chimney was octagonal, but had a square base about 20ft high,so its not that one. It could be Garrison at Thornsett, but that is just a guess for now. Is it possible to get a better quality scan to investigate it in detail, please?

Chimneys.jpg
Chimneys.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 2619 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2970 Re: New find.

Post by Norm »

buggyite wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:07 pm
Is it possible to get a better quality scan to investigate it in detail, please?
Unfortunately it is actually a scan of a scan, Robert didn't have the original. I have compared this scan and it is a good copy of the scan I have been given, so I am sorry to say that is the best you will get.

Chimneys.jpg
Chimneys.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 2619 times

megaroc

#2971 Re: New find.

Post by megaroc »

morning norm,re photo 2964, that's bottom of elnor lane, mr whiteman and mr Hollands cottages on the right, Sybil claytons on the left, the old foundry extreme left and shukers farm, far distance, I have similar one with a lady and a child on it

Smokes.jpg
Smokes.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 2617 times

R. Stephenson-Smythe

#2972 Re: New find.

A very good morning to you Megaroc,

Great details you provide.
I worked at Morris's foundry in my school holidays and it was hard and scary work. I worked on most jobs there but mostly I worked with Mr Sid Fletcher from Combs; the strongest man I ever came across but so gentle and nice. A true gentleman. There is a photo of him on this site showing him with my Granddad. I'll try and find it later.

But getting back to the Elnor Lane photo do you think that at the top of the shot that is the smoke from the steam engine coming from the direction of Melland's on the track and going back to WB as part of the Cromford and High Peak Railway.
I am pretty sure Buggyite or Shallcross will know.

R. S-S

Smokes.jpg
Smokes.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

megaroc

#2973 Re: New find.

Post by megaroc »

hello norm , I can see the smoke, it could be from a train . to me it seems a bit nearer about where the old fishing pond was at the top of elnor lane.the railway was behind that. when I said, it was shukers farm it was mistake it could possibly be a ruined farm which was in their field just below what was elnor lane head reservoir

Smokes.jpg
Smokes.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic