The older cars on the main page heading.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
Digger

#3241 The older cars on the main page heading.

Post by Digger »

Do you have any memories of cars like the ones in the picture?
What stories do you have?

I have to smile everytime I see the Austin A35 parked on the left hand side almost opposite the Landrover.

My Dad bought my Mum one of them in the early 60's and used it to take me to school. Some of the other parents had cars that were a bit more swish so I told my Mum to park around the corner when she was picking me up from school.
After a few weeks my Mum wanted something a bit bigger for when she was taking my Gran shopping, so my dad bought her a Ford Anglia.
When she dropped me off at school I told her she park out front when she was picking me up.
She called me a snob! Moi! a snob? I have been called a few things but never a snob ha ha.

If you had one of these stashed away now it would be worth a few bob.

G. Jackson

#3242 Re: The older cars on the main page heading.

Post by G. Jackson »

Hi Digger, my parents also went from a Austin A35 to a Z back Ford Anglia. We regularly went to Newquay on holiday in the A35 when I was small, I cannot remember the journey as I must have slept most of the way. Hundreds if miles in an A35 before any motorways. Staggering feat for my dad it must have taken most of the first and last day of the holidays

Gnatalee

#3243 Re: The older cars on the main page heading.

Post by Gnatalee »

Like you G.Jackson, we went to Cornwall - but stopped overnight in Tewkesbury, as I remember. I was four and not due to start school until the following January. I can't remember which car we had then - it would've been either a Hillman Husky (which was the first car I remember) or a Moggy Minor. Can't remember whether my Mum was already driving then or not. It was a very memorable holiday - it rained every day until the Friday, when we spent the day on the beach. Other than that we were in and out of cafes, sitting in the car on headlands looking out to a misty sea etc etc. My grandparents, who we had holidayed the previous year with, went to Tenby and had a fabulous week ! After that, it was Abersoch all the way !

Love looking at the old cars - no heaters, no radio and, in some cases minimal indicators ! (I'm so old that demonstrating the hand-signals for turning right and left was part of my driving test !! :lol:) It was a big day when we got a car with a wing mirror !!

Happy days though 8-)

Gnats

G. Jackson

#3244 Re: The older cars on the main page heading.

Post by G. Jackson »

Hi Gnatalee,
Cars without extras...
In 1965 I bought a brand new Austin Mini-van, I was asked if I would like a heater as a an extra??

G.J.

Gnatalee

#3245 Re: The older cars on the main page heading.

Post by Gnatalee »

GJ - :lol: :lol:

Those were the days - no heated windows or rear window wiper. Our Moggy Minor had the indicators which were orange "pointers" which popped out of the side of the car.

Happy days eh?

Gnats

G. Jackson

#3246 Re: The older cars on the main page heading.

Post by G. Jackson »

Hi Gnats.

Oh Happy Days, too true.
When you could fix anything that went wrong. I was intrigued when I went to Paris in the early 60s and they had indicators similar to the ones you described but they went up and down repeatedly and flashed orange too.

Only 45 days to drinking in pub gardens. Whoopee.

G,J.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic