Gowhole Sidings.2nd, May 1981.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
Digger

#3228 Gowhole Sidings.2nd, May 1981.

Post by Digger »

Many of you may have seen the pictures in the album of Gowhole sidings when it was in operation.The sidings were closed in 1969 and left to nature after the track was lifted.
While I was there to photograph a "Steam Special" I also took pictures of the site of the sidings to illustrate how big was, which may be of interest.
Attachments
Steam Special approaching the site of Gowhole sidings, Marsh Lane, south of New Mills Station.
Steam Special approaching the site of Gowhole sidings, Marsh Lane, south of New Mills Station.
Gowhole 1.jpg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Steam Special passing the end of Gowhole sidings heading south towards Whaley Bridge.
Steam Special passing the end of Gowhole sidings heading south towards Whaley Bridge.
Gowhole 2.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Site of Gowhole sidings facing New Mills Station.
Site of Gowhole sidings facing New Mills Station.
Gowhole 3.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 101 times
This photo is to the right of the previous one and shows the remains of what appears to be a railway embankment.<br />In picture 2 the embankment seems to carry on under a footbridge, but to where?<br />Does anyone know anything about this rail line,if it was?
This photo is to the right of the previous one and shows the remains of what appears to be a railway embankment.
In picture 2 the embankment seems to carry on under a footbridge, but to where?
Does anyone know anything about this rail line,if it was?
Gowhole 4.jpg (77.54 KiB) Viewed 101 times

Flannel

#3229 Re: Gowhole Sidings.2nd, May 1981.

Post by Flannel »

gowhole1949.png
gowhole1949.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 25 times
I found this map site recently which lets you view the historical maps alongside the present day.

It might be useful.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic