The Railway into Bings Road Ind.Est.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
Digger

#3220 The Railway into Bings Road Ind.Est.

Post by Digger »

I see there are a lot of new members, and everytime I have a look at the forum there are between 6 to 12 people on average looking as well.
I think the forum has become more popular as times passes so I thought I would put a thread on that I put on "The Other Forum" a long while ago, as new visitors and members might find it of interest.
(If you are not happy with this Norm please delete it).

I am sure many of you have seen the Whaley Bridge incline, the transit shed on the canal basin and are aware of the rail network that was used to load and unload the barges in the heyday of a bygone age.

Many years ago while I was exploring around the canal basin I came across the remains of a rail line that crosses the Goyt and would have gone into Bings Road Ind.Est when it was a mill.
The remains of the rail line can still be seen behind the toilet block on the canal basin. You might have to scrape away the leaves to find them.
With the help of other forum members, and the internet, it came to light there was a boiler house serving the mill and the rail line was used to take coal to it.

megaroc

#3221 Re: The Railway into Bings Road Ind.Est.

Post by megaroc »

you are right Digger, the mill was called Bingswood , known as the Printworks or CPA.(calico printers association) there was a boiler house at the mill, my granddad was a stoker there for many years. When i was in fire service in the 1960s we used to do what was called A deep lift test, off that bridge,with pump.

parabuild

#3222 Re: The Railway into Bings Road Ind.Est.

Post by parabuild »

This map shows the network of lines that connected the mills and canal basin.
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 154 times

David Easton
G. Jackson

#3224 Re: The Railway into Bings Road Ind.Est.

Post by G. Jackson »

On the map David posted is the Gas Works and the L shaped buildings next to the Gas Works became the local Morgue.

G. J.

parabuild

#3225 Re: The Railway into Bings Road Ind.Est.

Post by parabuild »

Thanks G.J I was reading about the gasworks yesterday and about the occasion in 1877 when it was struck by lightning !
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 150 times

David Easton
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic