Wartime Whaley

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
megaroc

#3169 Wartime Whaley

Post by megaroc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello Norm,
I've been reading your posts and I agree fully what you say about today's photos becoming tomorrow's history. Keep them coming please. I was looking at the school photos of both Whaley and Horwich End schools of the 1930's and early '40's and seeing and remembering old friends all growing up together, meeting at Whaley pictures three times a week, dancing to Jimmy Fox and his band in the Mechanics on a Saturday night or at New Mills Town Hall, the youth club in the Mechanics on a Sunday night and for the lads the billiard room in the basement of the Mechanics. We all grew up, the girls courting, marrying and having families; the lads starting work and waiting for conscription, which became National Service when they were 18, 19 and 20 years old. 17 and a half for volunteers. Occasionally their leave from the armed services would coincide and they would meet in Bill Garlick's tea hut just before the railway bridge near Whaley school, later to be sent off to fight wars they didn't understand in Palestine, Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Cyprus, Aden, Africa (the Mau Mau) then returning home to go back to their jobs as if nothing had happened.
Yes, Norm, there is history in photos as you see and people, like me, will look back on them and remember, like me.
Megaroc

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3170 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Norm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am

Thank you megaroc, it is nice to hear from someone who likes the photos we have on here.

We will keep them coming but as you know finding new ones is becoming harder since they themselves are becoming rarer.

Keep looking everyone.

Gnatalee

#3171 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Gnatalee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 am

Megaroc, thank you for your cracking post. You painted a lovely picture of the time my parents were growing up in Whaley. The 30's and 40's were "their" time, although my Dad was in the Army in 1939, my Mum was still living in the village throughout the war. They married at Taxal in '48 and started their married life in Liverpool.

It is good to hear about the village in their era. I hope to hear lots more - anyone have any "stories" about wartime Whaley? Who were the ARPs? Who joined the Home Guard? If an air-raid siren sounded, where did you go or what did you do? What were the shops where you bought the rations? (Still have my grandparents' ration books !)
'
My favourite place in Whaley is the Memorial Park - always my "go-to" place when I visit.

Thanks again Megaroc, your post is appreciated 8-)

Gnats

gritch

#3172 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by gritch » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:31 pm

It is good to hear about the village in their era. I hope to hear lots more - anyone have any "stories" about wartime Whaley? Who were the ARPs? Who joined the Home Guard? If an air-raid siren sounded, where did you go or what did you do? What were the shops where you bought the rations?/

What a great name for a much wanted topic 'Wartime Whaley'
Obviously it would need to be under a new thread - so hoping to hear some great memories :chers:

Gail

megaroc

#3173 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by megaroc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm

hi Gnatalee and Gritch,there was a number of ARPs in whaley but I don't know their names.At first, the home guard was made up with ww1 old soldiers the veterens of the trenches,there was about a platoons strength, 40 to 50 men, I can remember seargant Gough ,he lived on whaley lane. The shops where our mums shopped were mostly the coop which dominated whaley and horwich end, there was another grocer in horwich end called Percy Hulme,plus two other butchers JE Andews and mr Burns on chapel road .We lived in the horwich End area so im not too familier with shops down whaley. When the sirens went off , there were two electric wailers, one on William Deacons bank in HorwichE, and one on the Mecanics plus four factory steam whistles. I don't ever remember taking cover air shelters, I can only remember two sheleters, one for mevril workers and one at Horwich End school. My dad was called into the army in 1940, we didn't see him again until 1945. I hope I have helped to give a little bit of what whaley was like as I remember it. Memory and and age somtimes don't work well together. megaroc

Gnatalee

#3174 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Gnatalee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Well Megaroc, my Mum lived on Macc Road and I know they went into their cellar, when necessary - handy for the outside loo anyway ! Her Mum used to talk about wartime stuff sometimes and I know she helped with the billeting of evacuees (I have a post-war certificate awarded to her for service in helping evacuees).

I was told a story of someone who was guarding the railway bridge on Wharf Road when a lady was walking home and got the "Halt, who goes there !" He knew her and she knew him - She didn't half let him know who she was lol !!!

I don't know if my Grandad - Jack Winterbottom - was in the ARP, but we did have an ARP tin helmet (I seem to remember) which, as kids, we brought home with a "Guy" which Win had made us for bonfire night. It came in very handy as my brother was sick in it on the journey home :lol: !

Gnats

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3175 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Norm » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

This thread was created by copying some posts, mainly by megaroc, which were posted into another thread.

Gritch came up with the idea that they should be a basis for another thread, Wartime Whaley. So here it is.

Digger

#3176 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Digger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 pm

What an interesting topic. Us "Townies" assumed that anyone in "The Sticks" avoided the bombing but did they?
There must have been something that the German raiders would have had a go at even railway yards were prime targets. Anything that stopped the movement of freight would have been fair game to them.
Were any bombs dropped on or around Whaley? Did you have Ack-Ack guns.Did you have to have blackout curtains?
My parents lived near A.V.Roe which was frequently targeted by the raiders and there was anti-aircraft guns on the fields nearby. My mum used to pick up the shrapnel after a raid.
I expect it was a lot quieter in Whaley Bridge and the surrounding districts but did any of you have any near misses, collect shrapnel, get stranded on a train because a raid was on somewhere?

I bet there are some interesting stories to tell even if you were out in "The Sticks". :D :thumbup:

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3177 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Norm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Digger wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 pm
My parents lived near A.V.Roe which was frequently targeted by the raiders and there was anti-aircraft guns on the fields nearby. My mum used to pick up the shrapnel after a raid.
Without wanting to change the topic, so if the posts become many I will move/delete them.

Digger, was that at the Chadderton factory? We lived not far away but not as close as your family.

megaroc

#3178 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by megaroc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 pm

hello digger We in Whaley had a quite war, yes we had complete blackout, rationing and all other wartime restrictions,there was couple of bombs dropped on the moors somewhere,we were told they were jettisons. the nearest bomb damage was at New Mills with fatilites and one bomb near the viaduct in New Mills, no damage. We didn't have any A A guns in Whaley,but we had a unit of Lancashire Fusiliers[Searchlight] billeted at Shallcross Manor with a large searchlight, another unit of LFs in park house on Eccles Pike road, and a couple of military Police in The White Hart pub

Digger

#3179 Re: Wartime Whaley

Post by Digger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm
Digger wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:38 pm
Without wanting to change the topic, so if the posts become many I will move/delete them.

Digger, was that at the Chadderton factory? We lived not far away but not as close as your family.
Norm, yes, it was the Chadderton factory.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic