Fernilee Hall

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
cawright1

#2697 Fernilee Hall

Post by cawright1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi all, great site and forum.

Finished reading a book I picked up from a charoty shop last night, all about the Gunpowder mills at Fernilee.Very interesting stuff as it was the first time I'd heard about those mills.

The owner of the mills, lived in a mansion, Fernilee Hall. A picture in the book shows it being a very grand building. Is it still standing? Can't find any record of it on google.

Oh, and where/what is 'the valentine'?

gritch

#2698 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by gritch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi cawright1 and welcome to the forum,
Ideally, can you put it into context and show the circumstances as to how the word "valentine" appears.
Cheers

Gail

cawright1

#2703 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by cawright1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi, I've not got the book available at the moment, but the valentine was referred to along the lines of "on the way to the mills we walked down the valentine" ... it was also referred to other times. It appeared to be in the vicinity of where the old suspension bridge was. Maybe a long lost knoll or something I guess?

..and Fernilee Hall?

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2711 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by Norm » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:48 am

I see there has been responses on the Growing up in Whaley Bridge Facebook site to your question. Here are three of the replies.

The Valentine was the name of the road down towards my childhood home near the reservoir. Always beautiful when the cherry blossom was in bloom- last time I was over that way it looked awful 😥. I imagine no one takes responsibility for it since the treatment works closed-now years ago. Very sad!

My father worked at the Goyt Valley Water Treatment Plant - ‘The Valentine’, was lovely back then, particularly in the winter when the snow hung on the trees - fond memories

All ways known it to be the long sweeping tree lined road from entrance at long hill.

Shallcross

#2979 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by Shallcross » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Both memories of course are correct although the cherry trees are all gone now at the top of the Valentine where it meets long hill there were large gates green in the water board years but of course this was the site of top lodge for errwood hall (the ruins or at least the base is still there) the lomas family lived here at one point as did Joe Simpson the garden can still be seen on the other side of the roaad used to be full of cottage garden plants and a holly bush the Valentine is actually the road to errwood crossing from Derbyshire to Cheshire near where the powder mill stood
Fernilee hall is very much still there and lived in and on this is nowhere near where the suspension bridge stood
Hope this help

mrsbjones

#3053 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by mrsbjones » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi. I live at FH. Not a mansion, more a large family home.

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#3054 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 am

Hello Mrs Jones,

Just a few bits and bobs about Fernilee Hall:

In one of the gables there are the initials TW which relate to the former owner Thomas Williamson who also owned the powder mills, now beneath the waters of Fernilee Reservoir.
A cannon was kept at the hall to test the power and range of how much dynamite was needed to fire a ball so many meters.
According to my good friend Rowland Melland he came home from holiday one year and noticed the cannon loaded on the back of a pick up truck as it had been sold to someone further north than us.
There was also a two headed calf born at the Hall which lived for a few days but eventually died. This was hung up in Roland’s sister’s cafe where his house now is. When the cafe was demolished the two headed calf had gone and try as he might Roland never found it.
Sometime, probably in the 60’s, a mink farm was established in the grounds of the Hall but some animal rights people broke in and freed all the mink which inhabited the Goyt Valley. I used to see loads of them swimming in Taxal Duck Pond as late as the 90’s. They most certainly were responsible for killing all the water voles that lived there.
Later the Hall had kennels in the grounds and I seem to remember my parents taking our pet dog to stay there while we went on holiday.
Eventually the kennel business ceased trading but all the kennels and dog runs were left empty and were there for a number of years until they were finally cleared away.
I hope this is of interest to you.

R. S-S

Digger

#3055 Re: Fernilee Hall

Post by Digger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 am
Hello Mrs Jones,

Just a few bits and bobs about Fernilee Hall:

In one of the gables there are the initials TW which relate to the former owner Thomas Williamson who also owned the powder mills, now beneath the waters of Fernilee Reservoir.
A cannon was kept at the hall to test the power and range of how much dynamite was needed to fire a ball so many meters.
According to my good friend Rowland Melland he came home from holiday one year and noticed the cannon loaded on the back of a pick up truck as it had been sold to someone further north than us.
There was also a two headed calf born at the Hall which lived for a few days but eventually died. This was hung up in Roland’s sister’s cafe where his house now is. When the cafe was demolished the two headed calf had gone and try as he might Roland never found it.
Sometime, probably in the 60’s, a mink farm was established in the grounds of the Hall but some animal rights people broke in and freed all the mink which inhabited the Goyt Valley. I used to see loads of them swimming in Taxal Duck Pond as late as the 90’s. They most certainly were responsible for killing all the water voles that lived there.
Later the Hall had kennels in the grounds and I seem to remember my parents taking our pet dog to stay there while we went on holiday.
Eventually the kennel business ceased trading but all the kennels and dog runs were left empty and were there for a number of years until they were finally cleared away.
I hope this is of interest to you.

R. S-S
Hello R.S-S

Do you mean gunpowder? Dynamite would probably burst a cannon.

Do you know the age of the cannon? The Royal Navy changed their cannons after they had fired one hundred shots.After that number of shots they were prone to bursting.
The ones that were withdrawn were tested and some burst after a few shots over the hundred and others took about 60 over the hundred shots before bursting.

Are Fenilee Hall and Fernilee Hall Farm the same place.

Regards
Digger.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic