Whaley toll house

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
drstir

#3021 Whaley toll house

Post by drstir » Fri May 10, 2019 8:46 am

Just wondered whether anyone has any information - or photos - of the Whaley toll house mentioned in the William Wood saga.

I always assumed it must have been the house beside the cross roads as you come into town from Buxton. Simply because it has the shape of other toll houses I've seen. But I haven't been able to confirm it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#3025 Re: Whaley toll house

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 pm

David,

Should you care to read my story of the Murder Stone you would see that I have tried to identify the location of the toll house that was also identified by the witnesses who spotted the suspects running through WB.

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#3027 Re: Whaley toll house

Post by Norm » Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 am

David

R. S-S phoned me about his last post and he wondered if what he said sounded a bit harse. I said it wasn't too bad but I think it may come over a bit bad.

Anyway he is not too well at the moment, I won't go into details but pretty bad, but hopes to be back on in the next week or two. So if you are still having problems with it please say so and he will be only too glad to help on his return.

Norm

drstir

#3028 Re: Whaley toll house

Post by drstir » Tue May 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi Norm
I'm sorry to hear R.S-S isn't so well at the moment. Please send him my regards and say that I didn't take his comments as being in the slightest bit harsh.
But I am still struggling to identify the Whaley Bridge toll house. So any help you or he could provide would be much appreciated.
I've just completed the story of the murder on the GV website. All 10 sections are listed at the bottom of this page:
https://goyt-valley.org.uk/the-murder-stone/
Please pass on the R.S-S my thanks for allowing me to use so much of his excellent research material.
All the best
David

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#3030 Re: Whaley toll house

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Tue May 28, 2019 11:50 am

Hello David,

I am briefly back home from hospital but there is a long road ahead for me. But I don't want to bore people with my problems on here.
So let's get back to the toll house you are looking for:

First of all witness the statement of John Johnson copied below:

John Johnson, of Whaley, wheelwright, sworn.
“On Wednesday evening last, about eight o'clock, I was standing at the side of the Smithy, at Whaley, opposite the end of the old road from Disley. I saw three men running down that road towards me. I concluded they were running a race. They ran about a quarter of a mile in my sight; and ceased to run when they got near the Whaley Toll-gate. They went along the road towards Buxton".

Now John was standing by the Smithy which was directly opposite Whaley Lane as he says. They went along the road in the Buxton direction and ceased when they got to the Whaley Toll gate.
Now from the Smithy you can not see as far as The White Hart and the only building to bear any resemblance to a Toll House in appearance is the old Nat West Bank.
You might find on old records that this was indeed described as a Toll House.

Sorry to be brief but all for now.

R. S-S

drstir

#3037 Re: Whaley toll house

Post by drstir » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Many thanks, R.S-S. And apologies for not responding sooner but I've only just found your kind reply.

I'll do some more digging, but at least I now know where to look.

Did you see my 10 episodes on the William Wood story? It was far more involved that I thought.

There are links to the various parts on this page (which is my regular(ish) email newsletter from the site).

https://mailchi.mp/77d07cebc0de/goyt-va ... e-may-2019

I hope you feel better soon,

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic