Just a coincidence?

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2890 Just a coincidence?

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:06 pm

I am indebted to Gritch for the following information:

DAILY DISPATCH 24TH NOVEMBER 1937.

Jimmy Phillips, one of the Whaley Bridge men, who as one the Three Spartans will begin a circus career at Belle Vue, Manchester at Christmas is an Iron Fighter and is, at present, employed on the girderwork at Beswick’s Lime Works, Buxton.

My Mum and Uncle Bill were also in the Three Spartans so sometimes there were more than three.

Beswick’s Limeworks indeed.

Well how’s that for a coincidence?

R. S-S

Gnatalee

#2891 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by Gnatalee » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45 pm

What did The Three Spartans do, or is that a daft question?

Gnats

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2913 Re: Photos that may not have been on here before.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Once again I am indebted to Gail for the following article about my Great Grandmother.

It is from the Derbyshire (Times?) dated 11th May 1907:

DROPED THE BABY.

Mrs Martha Fox, Birch Farm, Bugsworth was summoned for being drunk whilst in charge of two young children, apparently under the age of seven years, in Spring Gardens, Buxton on April 16th.
Defendant pleaded guilty. Sergeant Morley stated that at 4.30 pm on the 16th inst he was on duty in Spring Gardens, Buxton, in company with Constable Allen, when a certain tradesman made a complaint in respect of the defendant. Shortly afterwards they saw her in Spring Gardens, carrying a baby, about 1 year and seven months old and having with her a little boy about four years of age. She was drunk, and they had numerous complaints about her from various people.
Eventually Constable Allen saw her drop the baby and they then took her into custody. They had to get a cab to take her to the police station, where she was detained, but allowed out on bail the same night in order to catch the nine o-clock train to Bugsworth. In answer to the Chairman the Clerk said the costs in the case amounted to 8s. Sergeant Porter said there was nothing known previously against the defendant. The Chairman said the magistrates had taken a very lenient view of the case, although it was a very serious thing to be drunk in charge of children. She did not know what injury she might have inflicted on through dropping it in consequence of being drunk. As that, however, was her first offence she would only have to pay 10s, including costs, and the Bench hoped it would be a warning to her.

gritch

#2930 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by gritch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Gnatalee wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45 pm
What did The Three Spartans do, or is that a daft question?

Gnats
Hi Gnats
I thought R.S-S might have enlightened you but he hasn't so I will. :D
The three Spartans were acrobats who performed at Belle Vue.
They were all from the Whaley Bridge area as this little snippet will tell you.
Bill Gidley was uncle to R.S-S.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_282.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_282.jpeg (579.4 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Gail

Gnatalee

#2931 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by Gnatalee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Thank you Gail - I was just interested to know what they did. The name Billy Gidley seems to be one that I have heard mentioned before. How interesting to have a troupe performing at Belle Vue from Whaley.

In my family history delvings I have found a family group of equestrians/clowns who eventually finished up in the USA. They worked for various circuses incuding Coopers, Montgomery Queen and Barnum and Baily, travelling to Australia, New Zealand and Argentina. It didn't end well - the main man (Nat Austin) died in a mental institution in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1892 - cause of death was Toxic Mania - probably caused by the lead in the face paint !

Thanks for the info Gail :-)

Gnats

megaroc

#2932 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by megaroc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm

did bill gidleys sister norma become one of the acrobic team a few later?

gritch

#2933 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by gritch » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Good evening megaroc.
Yes, you are correct.
Bill’s sister Norma, did become part of the act some time later when it was realised that Bill would not always be small enough to be included.

Gail

megaroc

#2934 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by megaroc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 am

hello Gritch . I ve been thinking back to an acrobatic display I saw in the park once with the gigdleys and I seem to remember joe Thorpe being in it.do you know if that's right?

gritch

#2939 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by gritch » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am

Hi megaroc
The name Joe Thorpe was not mentioned in the newspaper articles about the three Spartans, so I’m afraid I cannot answer your question.
Perhaps someone else may know?
Cheers for now

Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2941 Re: Just a coincidence?

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Bill Gidley was my uncle. He served in The Royal Navy and later The Canadian Navy. He was a wonderful man.

His sister Norma Gidley was my mum.

R. S-S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic