A Whaley address

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
Gnatalee

#2866 A Whaley address

Post by Gnatalee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Does anyone know if the address of:

Oak Bank, Buxton Road, Whaley Bridge

is still there and, if so, whereabouts is it?

Many thanks.

Gnats

gritch

#2867 Re: A Whaley address

Post by gritch » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi Gnats,
Have you got this address from an ancestors census entry.?
I can only suggest your going back and to in the pages (using fmp or similar) in to find an address that is familiar and near to. The only ‘oak bank’ I know about is in Newtown.
If we had another nearby address I could go look for you if that would help. :thumbup:

Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2868 Re: A Whaley address

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Good evening to you Gnats and Gail,

I very much doubt if this house is on the WB side of the traffic lights at Horwich End.
I think it would be on the left going up Long Hill. I'm around that area tomorrow so I'll see if I can locate it for you. No promises though.

R. S-S

gritch

#2869 Re: A Whaley address

Post by gritch » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Good evening to you R.S-S.
Hope you are well, and you too Gnats.
Just to add I shall be going over Long Hill in the morning so will have a little look about then.
Be good,

Gail

Gnatalee

#2870 Re: A Whaley address

Post by Gnatalee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Gail and R.S-S

The address is from a BMD Certificate for 1931, giving an address of Oak Bank, Buxton Road, Whaley Bridge - which makes me think it would be on the left going up Long Hill from Horwich End traffic lights. The chances are that the name has since been changed, but of course, I just wondered ! I might have a look on the 1939 for Whaley to see if it is mentioned on there - good thought Gail !

Hoping to pop over soon so will take a peek myself.

Thank you for answering my random questions :lol:

Gnats

Digger

#2871 Re: A Whaley address

Post by Digger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Gnatalee wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm
Hi Gail and R.S-S

The address is from a BMD Certificate for 1931, giving an address of Oak Bank, Buxton Road, Whaley Bridge - which makes me think it would be on the left going up Long Hill from Horwich End traffic lights. The chances are that the name has since been changed, but of course, I just wondered ! I might have a look on the 1939 for Whaley to see if it is mentioned on there - good thought Gail !

Hoping to pop over soon so will take a peek myself.

Thank you for answering my random questions :lol:

Gnats
Hi Gnats,

Would looking at the Electoral Roll be any use? It might give a house number as well as the name which would help you to pin down the location of the property.

Digger

Gnatalee

#2872 Re: A Whaley address

Post by Gnatalee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks Digger - good thought !

I have trawled the 1911 and 1939 censuses today and didn't find Oak Bank, (although I believe there was a Wood Bank). The address I was looking for existed in 1931, so perhaps it doesn't exist any more as a house name. (It's a family history thing - as usual, for me !)

Gnats

gritch

#2875 Re: A Whaley address

Post by gritch » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi Gnats,

Looking in 1939 register, I have found “oak mount” Buxton Road and has 4 people registered there. It appears to be next door to a house called ‘Stonecroft’.
The next address after that shows as Bank End Farm.
The address before “oak mount” is a house called ‘Belvedere’, before that ‘Highfield’, before that ‘lyndhurst’ and before that ‘mill hey’, before that is an address known as ‘ludworth’. Addresses that appear before Ludworth are shown as being council houses on Buxton Road.
I am now wondering if we should be looking towards Furness Vale and not Long Hill.
What do you and others think?
:scrat:

Gail

gritch

#2876 Re: A Whaley address

Post by gritch » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Follow up from yesterday, I drove through Furness Vale and quickly glimpsed the house name of ‘stonecroft’ but could not really take my eyes off the road !! Hopefully the next time I do this I might see ‘oak mount’ or ‘oak bank’ next door !

Gail

megaroc

#2879 Re: A Whaley address

Post by megaroc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm

the oak bank on buxton road I knew as boy in 1930s and 40s was the home of mr and mrs pearson and their son john. it is the house opposite the top end of the car sales car park, the one below the house with a glass porch

gritch

#2880 Re: A Whaley address

Post by gritch » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for that information megaroc. It’s definitely in the area we first thought.
Found the Pearson family entry on 1939 register..... Harry and Edna Pearson both in their 70’s with son Jack age 35, address as the Owlers.
Gnats...what is the surname on the bmd certificate? I’m asking because the name Hall was registered in the Furness entry I found and I know that Hall is your family.

Gail

Gnatalee

#2881 Re: A Whaley address

Post by Gnatalee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi Gritch

The name is Brooks. I don't know why, but I have in my mind that it would have been one of the houses raised above the road on the left-hand side, going up Long Hill. Would that road be known as Buxton Road, or Long Hill at that place?

I know my Mum was born at Buxton Road (no number or name of house on the certificate ) and I have assumed it was where her grandparents were living. Her grandfather died in 1931 at "Oak Bank", Buxton Road.

Thank you for your efforts and thank you also to Digger, Megaroc and R.S-S for your help. I suspect that perhaps the name has changed over the years. Not to worry. Gail - glad you didn't crash driving up Long Hill looking at house names !!!

Gnats :D

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2882 Re: A Whaley address

Post by Norm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Gnats

I have had an email from R.S-S, he is away at the moment and has not taken his password with him (very silly thing to do). I could change it but he seems to prefer to use me as a go between.

Anyway in his words Can you put a message on to say I am away but all she needs to do is phone WB post office.

So there you go :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic