Taxal Church.

This forum is for all posts that do not fit into any of the other sections. First port of call for a new subject.
R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2655 Taxal Church.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:52 pm

I have in my possession a large metal box containing all the Parish magazines dating back to the 1800’s until about 2000.
They were all stored in a large metal box and have suffered a bit over the years. Although in fair condition they are a bit musty and the metal staples are a bit rusty but they are crammed with all sorts of interesting data, photographs, accounts, adverts and so on. They are the complete history of Taxal and Whaley Bridge. I believe many of the photos to be unique and there are dozens of them.

All this will be of great interest to Gail.

Here is a flavour:

The 1891- 1893 bound copy has the inscription Herbert E Stamper and underneath the name Ebenezer Hill snr, Kettleshulme. Now, of course, I have heard of Captain Stamper but this is the 1st time I have seen his signature and found out his full name.

On January 10th John Lomas aged 77 was buried at Taxal Church he lived at Masters Farm, Taxal. I’ve never heard of this farm; could it be Madscar Farm, Gail?

It is reported in the July 1893 magazine that the Buxton Chronicle (?) of June 23rd reports:

A PRESENTATION TO MISS COTTRELL.

“On Friday, 16th inst. After school Miss E Cottrell Infants’ Mistress of Taxal and Fernilee National School, who has held that position for about three years, was presented by Mr. J.W. Slater of Shallcross Hall on behalf of the managers and scholars on resigning her office, with a very serviceable travelling bag fitted with various requisites. The present was accepted very gratefully by Miss Cottrell as a token of esteem.
Miss Cottrell was greatly resected by the parents of the scholars and others in the locality, and her departure is much regretted. She was very useful in Taxal Church Choir and Sunday School.

Now here’s the thing Gail, I thought I knew of all the occupiers of Shallcross Hall but obviously not. Can you help?

As I say I am not getting any younger and to scan all the hundreds if not thousand of photos over a 100 years would be a mammoth task so does anyone know what all these magazines would be worth on say ebay?

R. S-S

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2656 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Norm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Seems a waste if you sell them, they could be lost forever. :(

Digger

#2657 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Digger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:03 pm

As a matter of interest how many magazines are there?

It is a lot of history to lose.

Pehaps a collective effort of a few of us on here could scan them in so they can be preserved and made accessible to everyone on this forum?

I'm not working and I am due to retire in 5 months ,(I'm giving my age away now ;) ), so I would not mind having a go. They would have to be jpegs, I think.
Optical character recognition (OCR) does not always work too well, especially if there are pictures, fancy text or scrolls etc. in the text.

Either all of the magazines could be scanned in or just the photographs and any relevent text could be cut & pasted into a word doc.
I have about 40 CD-R discs so I could put anything I do on them. When they run out I might be able to put them on a DVD. (Burning to a DVD as a backup is new to me). But I will figure it out.

Digger

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2658 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Norm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 am

Digger,

I have been talking to Robert and he is going to loan me some samples this Thursday (if he remembers to bring them). I will see the condition and how they scan etc. Thin paper can be a problem and photos may need working on. I have OCR software and other progs to help but this is a big unknown until I get a feel for it.

If it seems viable I will let everyone know, also if it goes ahead I think it may be better having it's own section on the photo or history site, to allow a good/simple search/lookup facility, I will have to have a good think about that, apply the 6Ps rule - if you know what that means.

Gnatalee

#2659 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Gnatalee » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm

It would be a shame to let them go on e-bay, but that's obviously one choice. I would be happy to join the crew of scanners - it would make such interesting reading to many. Perhaps, once scanned, you could then sell them on e-bay? :D

Gnats

Curious

#2660 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Curious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm not working now either, so I would be happy to join the scanning club. Maybe Whaley Library would like the magazines, they have quite a good selection of local history.
Mrs C

Digger

#2664 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Digger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Hello Norm,

Have you had chance to try scanning any of the pictures from the magazines?

I know what you mean about images/text showing through from the reverse side of the page when something is scanned.
If it is a problem would it be possible to photograph the most important images and maybe correct them later?

I know it is a mammoth task and it may not be practical. Unfortunatley I do not have a digital camera that would go that close in so what I am suggesting is a long shot.

Digger

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2665 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Norm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Digger

I have a few copies. They scan well but I am thinking about how to handle this. This could be a very very large job that may not really be practical. In those days it looks like church magazines were like small books, with pages full of text. I have attached just one page from 1891. As you can see the actual quality is not too bad and quite clear. There does seem a strong connection to Wales in this magazine, which people in the know may be able to explain.

Robert suspects it may be better to just go through them and pick selected interesting articles and/or photographs. To be honest I am still thinking about it.
Page1.jpg
Page1.jpg (343.3 KiB) Viewed 551 times

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2716 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Norm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Don't worry this has not been forgotten.

I have had a look at some more copies and decided that to scan them all would be too great a job and to be honest not worthwhile, there seem so many pages just dedicated to very short stories. The stories may be nice to read but in terms of local history they give nothing. Also I am not too sure whether they could stand the handling to scan all the pages.

Therefore I suggest the best approach would be to cherry pick any articles that are relevant to Taxal and area. These could be articles about people, local adverts or any other information held in such a church magazine.

I suspect the best approach would be a dedicated section on this forum. That would at least get the information out in the shortest time, whether the information goes into a website later can be thought about. The forum does have a good search facility and is flexible in how it handles data, if I start adding articles and they get messy it may be easy to move posts around to make it more structured. As you may have gathered I am not 100% sure how this will look but I am open to suggestions either now and/or as we go along, please don't be timid in posting your thoughts (not sure I have to say that).

So watch this space in the coming weeks, months and years.

Norm
Site Worker
Site Worker

#2724 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by Norm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

I have added 1891. Not a great deal and many months and pages missing.

Have a look under Specific Subjects.

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2748 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Norm,
I used to live on Shallcross Road off Elnor Lane. I lived at number 11 and across the road lived a top gentleman called George Holmes. I never saw George without him wearing his suit; he even did his garden in it. On a Saturday and Sunday lunch everyone from Horwich End made for the Board Inn to play darts and dominoes. George Holmes never missed. But as we all wore jeans and baggy jumpers and sported long hair and beards George was immaculately turned out,

Well a few weeks ago I came across an oil painting of Taxal Church on ebay and the artist was a G. Holmes. Starting bid was 99p and £3 postage. I put my bid in and forgot all about it until I got a message from ebay to say I had won the item.
It duly arrived and on the back it was signed George Holmes, 8 Shallcross Road, Whaley Bridge and his 4 digit phone number.
I had no idea that George was an artist but now I can imagine him sitting outside the church painting and in his suit of course.
R. S-S
Taxal church oil painting.jpg
Taxal church oil painting.jpg (143.45 KiB) Viewed 371 times

gritch

#2749 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by gritch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi R.S-S
What a gem of a story about George Holmes and your eBay purchase....I love little tales like this. :thumbup:
Any more?

Gail

R. Stephenson-Smythe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

#2750 Re: Taxal Church.

Post by R. Stephenson-Smythe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Good evening Gail,

A couple of days ago I was driving down the lane and saw Ralph Longden who used to live 3 doors away from me on Shallcross Road and I stopped to talk to him as usual. He walks miles every day and I told him about George's painting of the church. He surprised me by saying that he knew George was an artist and he also had one of his paintings.
It was quite a small one of a Kingfisher but he wasn't sure where it was but he is going to have a look for it for me.
Small world isn't it?

R. S-S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic