Whaley Bridge Newspaper Cuttings

16 October 1897
Well, I Never -- Last Sunday Whaley was invaded by a mortar car, or rather a motor car. It astonished the natives, who turned out as if a circus procession was going by. Amongst the spectators were eager professional men.
A Royal Visitor

July 1926 and the guest at the Sycamore Guest House was The Infanta Eulalie, aunt of the King of Spain. The previous day she had visited the King and Queen at Buckingham palace.

To the Editor of the Manchester Guardian.
Sir, Summer has at last arrived, and living as I do at Whaley Bridge, within half a mile of a Taxal Church, in good air and good company, I ought, you would think, to be as happy as the days just now are long. Not so. Motor-cars run through our pretty village to and from Buxton at the rate of from 25 to 40 miles an hour. Some-I do not say all--are careless of everybody and everything but themselves. They think they have the complete right of the road. Everyone must make way for a high-power motor-car. Dogs and cats they run over, and occasionally old men. The dust they create in running at the speed they do is most injurious to pedestrians, crops, and dwellings. Should you open your bedroom windows your rooms are soon covered, and make extra work for the already hard-worked maids and assistants. Shopkeepers have to shut their doors, or their goods would be spoiled. A butcher told me that on a Saturday afternoon in fine weather, after his shop had been open all day, anything sold after 4 to 5 p.m. "wanted washing" before being fit to eat. Yours, &c.,
Whaley Bridge, July 17.

24 July 1920
The Finance Committee had recommended that the speed limit for motors through Whaley should be 8 mph.
The Clerk said it would be necessary for the County Council to get an order from the Ministry of Health to impose a speed limit and that could not be less than 10 mph.
Mr Secombe said that in a few minutes on Sunday morning he saw 27 motors go through Furness Vale at 20 mph.
Evasion of tolls

A legal action involved a drover coming from Taddington along the Buxton - Manchester Turnpike with 120 sheep. On the Taddington side of this gate is an inn called the White Hart about 100 yards from the gate. The landlord has a field adjoining the inn and the sheep were grazed here overnight. The following morning, the sheep were taken out of the field by another gate, across two other fields, on to a portion of an old road and then back on to the turnpike beyond the toll bar. In this way it was possible to avoid paying the tolls.
Serious accident

14 April 1882
A man who appeared to be a stranger, walked in the dark over a wall in front of the Jodrell Arms on Monday evening. He injured his face very badly. The Local Board may find themselves in for damages for leaving this place unprotected.
Burglar Shot

November 1862
Police were searching for three burglars, one of whom had been shot in the chest. They had made their escape from the home of Mr Norman at Horwich End. The shutters of the dining room had been forced with a jemmy in order to gain entrance. Mrs Norman was awakened at 3 am, dressed, and armed with revolver crept downstairs. In the dining room she saw a man wearing a mask and holding a lighted candle. Calmly, Mrs Norman took careful aim hitting the burglar who was dragged through the window by his accomplices. The police considered that his injury might prove fatal.
Outbreak of Cattle Disease

21 September 1883
On Sunday last an alarming outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease broke out on the farm of Mr Moses Plant, Bings Wood Farm. Two out of a herd of a dozen cattle were affected.
Sale Of A Wife

August 1837. On Tuesday one of those illegal and disgusting transactions which are a disgrace to the country and ought to be prevented, took place at Wirksworth. The wife of John Allen, of Turnditch, eloped with James Taylor, of Shottle, on the 11th of July last. The injured husband having got information that she was with Taylor, at Whaley Bridge, went, and found them together in lodgings. He demanded £3 for her clothes, which Taylor said he would pay on condition that he would accompany them to Wirksworth on the market-day, and deliver her, as he called it, according to law. They came together to Wirksworth, and Allen purchased a halter, placed it round his wife, and gave one end of the rope to Taylor, saying. "I John Allen, was bereaved of any wife by James Taylor, of Shottle, on 11th July last; I have brought her here to sell her for 3s. 6d. ; will you buy her James ?" James answered, "I will, here is the money, and you are witness, Thomas Riley," calling to a potman who was appointed for the purpose. The ring was delivered to Allen with three sovereigns and 3s. 6d., when he shook hands with his wire and her paramour, wishing them all the good luck in the world. She was married to Allen at Kniveton about ten years ago, and they lived together till the time above named. This is not only a disgraceful transaction, but subjects the parties concerned in it to punishment for an offence against the law. It was only at the last West Riding Sessions, held at Bradford, that a man pleaded guilty to an indictment charging him with selling his wife last February, and he was imprisoned one month. --Halifax Guardian.
An infected area.

Notices were posted in the district stating that the highway known as Bugsworth Old road, from the Gnat Hole Schools to Whaley Bridge Turns, is an infected area under the act, in consequence of foot-and-mouth disease having broken out on a farm

at Bings Wood.

March 1965. Broadhey Hill above Furness Clough. Two boys, 12 and 14 years old from Heaton Chapel discovered an old mine shaft. This was protected only by railway sleepers which gave way under their feet. They fell 150 feet and the younger boy Stephen Robinson was found by firemen to be dead. His friend David Arnold injured his head but was conscious when carried to the ambulance. How he survived such a fall, nobody could understand. Mr Hill from Furness helped in the rescue.

Coal Pit Accident.

13 May 1871
On Friday week a youth named Joseph Ashmore, son of John Ashmore of Whaley Bridge, met with an accident whilst engaged in the pit belonging to the Buxton Lime Company, at the same place. From the report in the district it appears that while at work a large quantity of dirt fell from the roof and caught him, crushing him very much. He is not dangerously hurt although if the full weight of the debris had come upon him, he might have been killed

13 July 1901
Whaley Bridge. The Cheshire giantess is no more! We refer to Harriett Peers, who was remarkable for her height and size. The dimensions of the coffin in which the corpse was enclosed were:
Length 6 ft. 6 ins.; breadth 4 ft.; depth 2 ft. It was iron-bound, and weighed with the body enclosed, 7 cwt. The coffin, which was covered with flowers, was borne upon a lurry suitably draped. The body was carried from the hearse to the grave on a truck.
Serious Train Accident

September 1867. A goods train had entered the tunnel between Chapel and Peak Dale and had stopped to unload gravel tor track maintenance. Against the rules, a following train carrying 1000 sheep and cattle was allowed to enter the tunnel where it crashed into the stationary ballast train. A little girl had taken some clogs to her father who was working in the tunnel and together they were in one of the wagons. She was the first fatality of the day. Several other workmen were injured. Two engines hauled the cattle train and these left the track causing the wagons to become detached and these started to roll backwards. On leaving the tunnel, the guard and three drovers jumped and their injuries were not known. The wagons sped through Bugsworth from where the signalman was able to warn New Mills and have the signals set to danger. A passenger express had already set off from New Mills and was halted by the signal after some distance. The runaway wagons were seen approaching; Driver Cooper set the train in reverse and he, the fireman and guard all jumped off. There was still a collision in which four cattle drovers were killed and a fifth injured. Many sheep and cattle lay dead amongst the wreckage. The express in the meantime was still travelling backwards out of control and was not brought to a halt until directed into a siding at Romiley. None of the passengers were injured although some suffered from shock.
Accident at Station

1864 Aug 19. A terrible accident at Furness station, when Daniel Pickford Cook, schoolboy son of the Furness station master was killed by the 3.56 passenger mail train from Buxton. The boy, who was nine years of age, was returning from school and ran past the end of the ballast train which had stopped for loading. The engine was blowing off steam, which prevented the boy from hearing the oncoming train. The boy was struck by a projecting crank on the side of the engine and decapitated.
On the following Saturday, an inquest was held at the Soldier Dick before Mr Johnson and a jury, who returned a verdict of accidental death. The jury recommended that in future two men should be on duty at the station, one to each turnstile, in order to prevent the reoccurrence of a similar accident.