Elitherotesephobia

What do you think, good or bad about the questions?
dick@oldhall

Elitherotesephobia

Post by dick@oldhall » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:13 pm

OK, I'm resigned to obscure football 'guess the year' questions and similar. Fair game, I suppose. But please can we avoid questions about spurious neologistic words for phobias, and arcane collective nouns for animals and birds?

Oh, and I made 'elitherotesephobia' up from the Greek words 'silly', 'question' and 'fear'.

Λυπάμαι πολύ !

oddiesdave

Re: Elitherotesephobia

Post by oddiesdave » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Fear not Dick. 'Elitherotesephobia' will appear in a quiz near you before long.

On collective nouns. What is the collective noun for a group of hermits?

dick@oldhall

Post by dick@oldhall » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:19 pm

Elitherotesephobic I may be, Dave, but I'm going to rise to it and try a 'Herman'?

dick@oldhall

Post by dick@oldhall » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 pm

My second answer would be 'just a lot of badly dressed people with nothing much in common', of course. (Hermits, just like me, don't get out much.)

Geoff Abell

Post by Geoff Abell » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Having not won since 5 Dec, I did a very un-British thing and cheered when we beat the Old Hall. Dick reminded me they'd had a bad patch too, so glad to see you win, sir. As did Swan and Furness Vale. But just in case you think the world is turning upside down, Boris and Trump are still in charge and REMS are now firmly top again.

So Λυπάμαι πολύ to you too.

Dave Dunford

Post by Dave Dunford » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Amen on both counts, Dick.

Phobias: If the phobia has some linguistic hint at the answer then fair enough, otherwise the question might as well be "Guess a harmless thing that some people might not like." I think part of the problem is that most of them come from Greek and most of us have a better chance with Latinate words.

Collective bloody nouns: As a one-time professional ornithologist (of sorts) I can confirm that

a) no self-respecting birder or ornithologist ever uses them - we just say "flock" for pretty much everything
b) I've literally never heard any of the terms given as answers used
c) I didn't think of it at the time - for which I'm almost grateful, as I'd have been even more irritated - but the word "fall" is used by birders for migrant birds (under certain specific circumstances, where the word is actually useful) which is a much better answer than either of the options given.

Dave Dunford

Post by Dave Dunford » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm

That said, this week we had "Guess an age between 80-odd and 90-odd" for two questions...