Is anyone else worried?

You can enter a message here regarding anything about the quiz league. Ideas, doubts, just about anything.
snoopy

Is anyone else worried?

Post by snoopy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Well by now I suppose you have heard of coronavirus. So straight to the point, should we stop playing for the time being?

Looks like it is now taking off here and how we play, huddled together every week is not wise given the warnings.

Am I over reacting, but I may stop playing now, sorry but I am worried.

James

Re: Is anyone else worried?

Post by James » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:51 am

I think we should carry on as normal.

The pubs we play in need all the help they can get at the best of times without people stopping going.

Garlos

Post by Garlos » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 pm

Man up ! ffs

dick@oldhall

Post by dick@oldhall » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:13 am

No.

giroliddy@rems

Post by giroliddy@rems » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Goodness me, people are brusque.

I hear your distress, Snoopy. Of course you don’t have to play, if you don’t want to.

Personally, I agree with James. I don’t think we’re currently at the point where we have to suspend games.

Dunelm

Post by Dunelm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Not worried at all.
We can only follow the government advice so at this stage we should carry on as normal.

oddiesdave

Post by oddiesdave » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Follow government advice. Now why does that fill me with alarm?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Well if we have one of the 0.00062% of the population playing then I feel we ought to be worried about getting a bad cold - otherwise I think we should play!!!!

oddiesdave

Post by oddiesdave » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:05 am

The basic decision you have to make for fear of the virus is whether or not to isolate yourself.
If you decide to do that then you are unlikely to catch the disease.
But if you decide not to isolate then a pub quiz is no more dangerous than any other communal gathering: the office, the train, the shops, the streets.

Geoff Abell

Post by Geoff Abell » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Snoopy asks a reasonable question.

It's a question of science and public health. Whilst washing and masks will help a small amount, it's all about not being in contact with infected populations. So mass gatherings are a bad idea (although I would not necessarily count the pub quiz as a mass gathering).

The Times wrote a good article about the Spanish Flu 1918/19 epidemic. (The UK papers were banned from reporting the disease from UK or France, but OK re Spain even though it did not come from there. 1/4 million Brits died, more than in the war itself. But no memorials for them. Best survival in Copenhagen that had had a mild version 6 months before. papers used language like "You got flu cos you had a lack of moral fibre".
Good quiz questions in there.) As that is pay-per-view, here's a link to a similar article on-line.
https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1 ... ing-works/

So cancelling should be an option. Delaying by 4 weeks say. (Summer quizless months are always less good!)

But I will be out tonight.

normsvql

Post by normsvql » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Well it is a week since Snoopy started this and things have moved on. I suspect people are worried, I have had two emails stating that, they have not posted since they are a bit worried of coming under fire for their concerns.

Let's admit this league has rather a few older players than other sport leagues and I understand how they feel. Now obviously they don't have to play but it is shame for teams to go without players and they feel barred.

Things are going to get worse, I think everyone will agree with that and we will have to make tough decisions. Personally I would prefer to stop playing sooner than later. Freeze the league as it is, either continue later or if it get's very bad we could play more matches and stretch the season over two years. But that is up for discussion.

Things to think about in the near future. People can email me, text or leave messages on the quiz phone if they don't wish to post here.

Stay safe.

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm

As one of the older (78) regulars I would certainly support Norm's suggestion that, after this evening, we 'freeze the league' as it is and hope to pick up where we left in happier times. I've no desire to be bracketed with those fool-hardy individuals who opted not to evacuate Whaley when their lives were under threat.

oddiesdave

Post by oddiesdave » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:48 pm

You mean the individuals who made the correct decision that it was safer to stay at home rather than risk catching 'flu in the evacuation centre :-)

But the comparison is fallacious. In the Todbrook Incident it was clear-cut. Stay at home and face a 30% chance of drowning or evacuate and guarantee to eliminate the risk.

If abandoning the quiz would guarantee that I wouldn't catch CV19 then wild horses wouldn't drag me to the Papermill. But it doesn't . It merely slightly reduces the already substantial chance of catching the disease.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 am

Garlos wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 pm
Man up ! ffs
Do you still think this?